Monday 9 July 2012

The issue with teddy bears

At the moment I am working on designing my own teddy bears for my shop. I have knitted many in the past few years but never managed to hold on to any of them because they generally sell as soon as I put them up for sale. This is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but because of this I don't really have any bears permanently in my stock. It's a problem to me as teddy bears prove so popular with all ages and knitting them takes up considerable spare time (which i haven't got running a family and working in my "day job").


So I thought of sewing teddies. I thought by firing up my sewing machine and using some funky or soft fabrics I could have my own teddy bears picnic in no time. Boy was I wrong! Sewing teddies is a minefield for the skilled amateur crafter. Especially furry ones.


I research my projects a lot (for inspiration and confirmation that I am doing it correctly) and came across so many important things to remember when making teddies that I felt I should dedicate a single blog post to the issue with  teddy. 



Sewing teddies isn't really a project for beginners. If you have never made soft toys before, I suggest you try a few simple patterns first (there are thousands of free ones out there) to get the hang of the stuffing business (which is not as simple as you might think) and sewing up your dolly or animal. It takes a few attempts to learn how tight your arm or leg should be without making your teddy look like it has a cramp. 


First you need to think about how soft you want your teddy to be. Different fabrics also sew up differently so what might appear a steady seam will soon shred to pieces when you stuff your creation. Home furnishing fabrics are strong and durable but you will have to leave a bigger seam allowance as it might fray. You can also use this stuff called Fraystoppa which will sort that problem out. 


Are you going to use a sewing machine or are you going to sew it by hand? By hand you will probably have more control over tightness and tension of stitch but it will take a lot longer than if you use a sewing machine. Get the tension right though and make sure you use the correct needle for your fabric. 

I found this pattern most comprehensive and quite clear to understand:
http://www.bearycheap.com/free%20patterns/jack.pdf


So, transfer your pattern on your fabric and cut it out. You are surrounded by fabric limbs, head or ears and you are ready to go. Wrong! In my search for the perfect teddy bear i have come across teddy joints. Yes, I looked just as confused when I read in a pattern that "now is the time to insert your disc and bolt in the neck". Huh? Well, apparently to get a steadier/sturdier joint at the neck and the limbs there are these contraptions which are inserted either end of the joint and keep it safe. (11.7.2012  I stand corrected on these joints - they are to get movable limbs... doh!)


In the pictures you see the different parts of such joints and the lower pic shows how they fit together on the joint. 


Personally I don't think they are really necessary unless you are trying to achieve movable limbs. Stuffing firm and sewing limbs tight enough to body gives you a sturdy ted. My advice is to stuff and sew the limbs to body after stuffing the actual body. Add head before you add your limbs. 


Right, back to sewing it up. First, sew up your head. When you finished your head you need to decide which eyes your ted will have. Buttons? Toy eyes? Embroidered? Toy eyes will need to be inserted before you stuff your head. Another tip: When stuffing your head, stuff the nose first as it will be virtually impossible to make it firm when the rest of the head is stuffed. 
Then add your ears to your head. Carry on with sewing up your body and your limbs. (I am deliberately vague as every pattern is different and will include some variations). 


Before you attach your legs to your ted, decide which position you want it to be in. Do you want a sitting or a standing ted? This might sound picky but is quite an important thought as it will influence the look of your teddy greatly. Think on similar lines with the arms. Stretched out for a hug? Or to the side of the body? If you decide to make a floppy ted it doesn't really matter. It will be soft enough to adjust anyway. 

One more word on stuffing the body: If you want it to have a heavy base (to sit up), add some dried peas or rice in a bag. (You could also add some to the paws). 


Done it? Excellent. You have made a teddy bear. Yay!


On my virtual travels I have collected the most useful and cutest teddy bear patterns out there: 



http://www.howjoyful.com/2010/05/howjoyful-bear-tutorial-and-pattern/
This is the pink ted in the picture above. Adorable, isnt' it? 


http://www.craftbits.com/project/baby-pip-teddy-bear
The brown one right at the top. 


http://www.eldrbarry.net/im/meg/simpbear.pdf
A simple bear with good instructions. 


http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Teddy-Bear
Another comprehensive pattern with lots of pictures. 


http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bear.html
Very easy little bear. Great project to do with kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment